This week’s index cards
- Why do I have such distain for anything more woo-woo than me?
- Check for jealousy
- “Moral indignation is often jealousy with a halo” — H.G. Wells.
- Oh! I dislike their freedom.
- How can I help?
- Can I?
- Remember to tell folk on Racism call that they aren’t seen and can lock their door.
- This reminds me of a that Voltaire quote: God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh.
Other thoughts for the racism talk
- Selling point: “By Saturday noon, be two steps closer to being an anti-racist”
- “Anecdotal evidence is true, so says one person.” So let’s be careful of thinking one person represents any group.
- Maybe the subtitle should be: Recruiting white folk. Training Anti-racists
- Why is Devin white? Because white folk need to take responsibility for fix the mess we made? Why is a rabbi involved? Because I witnessed the Exodus from Egypt and the clergy’s job is preaching truth to power.
The steps to becoming a saint
- Have you been a good person for at least five-years? Receive “Nihil Obstat” stamp — “nothing hinders” your progress. Good going!
- Evidence that you have at least three virtues is shown to an assigned “postulator”
- Optional: Demonstrate exceptional ability / miracle. Receive “Venerable and Blessed” title. Way to go!
- Optional: Demonstrate second miracle and be deceased. Receive “Saint” title.
- Shouldn’t most of us be alright with just knowing we were at “nothing hinders” our progress? And continue to work towards justice.
- Maybe I’ll work people through these steps as a spiritual exercise?
- Just did a sample. Made revisions. Will do this again.
> It’s Covid.
> Nothing can be conceived of.
> There are no markers, and the world is inconsistent.
- I hope this framing can help folk from taking this all too personally.
The 77% Weekly
Try for free. Always free. Directly to your in-box.
intelligent wisdom. real + funny. about life
Enjoyed by 1,000's of people. 40/52 weeks a year.
The Best $20 I gave away New York City. Manhattan. 2005. I had a presentation in Philly and extended the trip to visit my family of origin. It’s a humid Tuesday afternoon, and I’m picking up my niece at her Spanish language summer School slash day camp. Maya is...