Saturday Service December 2020_3
by Rabbi Brian
The Saturday Service December 19, 2020
Rabbi Brian! (Fanfare for the common man)
– : Welcome and question: What is keeping you from being content?
– 04:00: Announcements and welcome back, Emily! Remember to use the Closed Captioning.
– 05:00: Deep quote and 2 comics.
– : Rumi quote (as per email before the service): There is one thing in this world you must never forget to do. If you forget everything else and not this, there’s nothing to worry about, but if you remember everything else and forget this, then you will have done nothing in your life. It’s as if a king has sent you to some country to do a task, and you perform a hundred other services, but not the one he sent you to do. So human being come to this world to do particular work. That work is the purpose, and each is specific to the person. If you don’t do it, it’s as though a priceless Indian sword were used to slice rotten meat. It’s a golden bowl being used to cook turnips, when one filing from the bowl could buy a hundred suitable pots. It’s like a knife of the finest tempering nailed into a wall to hang things on. You say, “But look, I’m using the dagger. It’s not lying idle.” Do you hear how ludicrous that sounds? For a penny an iron nail could be bought to serve for that. You say, “But I spend my energies on lofty enterprises. I study jurisprudence and philosophy and logic and astronomy and medicine and the rest.” But consider why you do those things. They are all branches of yourself. Remember the deep root of your being, the presence of your lord. Give yourself to the one who already owns your breath and your moments. If you don’t, you will be like the man who takes a precious dagger and hammers it into his kitchen wall for a peg to hold his dipper gourd. You’ll be wasting valuable keenness and forgetting your dignity and purpose.” ― Rumi, The Soul of Rumi: A New Collection of Ecstatic Poems
– : Interpretation from rB: what is that one thing? Sounds like Jack Palance from City Slickers (One thing you need to do in life…which he never says). Comments and discussion. Betsy had a poem that was similar: Betsy’s poem:
Go to 1st person singular statements: What does this mean to you? What is the one thing you keep forgetting to do that you have to do in life? Being present in the moment for the person/people you are with? Present with presence. – Carol Ann. Be present to reality in front of you.
– – Announcements and thanks for being here. ETSY SHOP + Stained Glass
JAMES’S BIRTHDAY – SEND CARDS
James Wilson -5200
High Desert State Prison / A3-243 PO Box 3030
Susanville CA 96127
ETSY ITEM OF THE WEEK
YOUTUBE ARCHIVE OF THE SATURDAY SERVICE v=9v22m7DBCMw&list=PLCzoab1Iky9zbxMTLtNImmTIeyOlRW9rn
– : Breakouts rooms of 2 people: Exchange info with each otters (5 mins) . Question: randomly assigned accountability-buddy. Between now and next week. Check in with your buddy to see how they are doing. They will be checking in with you too. Medium doesn’t matter, it’s about being kind to each other. A small thing but it can be really big. “Random angels”
– : rB: recording phone calls with him and Larry. Larry said it was ok to share with anyone who would like to listen. rB contacts a podcast producer to see if they could do something with it. Podcast coming soon 🙂 .
– 37:20: James’ birthday! Please send cards (no glitter or glue), no padded envelopes, no books except from Amazon (major retail establishment) and no hard covers. He is not feeling well, hopefully not COVID.
– 40:50: ETSY item of the week – learn Hebrew classes! hebrew/.
– : Quoth rB: What is keeping you from being content? “Who is rich, whosoever is content with what they have.” Using your hands, where are you now and where would you like to be?
Discussion with participants. “How can we be content when others are suffering?”, for example. WE are responsible for our own happiness/unhappiness.
– – HOMEWORK: how can we remember to be content, in this time, with what we currently have? Let there be peace, and let it begin with me. We have tasks to do, let us remember the thing we are set to do and let other people feel all right with what is.
– Buh bye!
Saturday Service December 2020_3
Jan 18, 2021